- This event has passed.
Intermediate MIG Welding
September 13, 2023 @ 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
This is a technical class full of pro-tips with tons of hands-on welding and instruction to improve your MIG welds. We’ll review safety and equipment to be sure you’ve got the best information to make choices as you set up- helmet type and adjustments, various glove advantages, material props, work stations, light, welder set-up. In addition, you’ll learn how to cut with a hand-held plasma torch and get a refresher on the chop saws, horizontal bandsaw, bench and angle grinders to prepare steel to be welded.
We recommend bringing scraps of the kinds/shapes of steel you want to get better at working with, but we’ll provide material to experiment with as well.
Prerequisite: Metalshop/MIG Welding Badge
What you’ll learn:
- Develop welding techniques for all basic weld joints (butt, corner, edge, T, and lap), filet welds
- Welding dissimilar thicknesses
- How to dial in weld settings
- Cutting with handheld plasma cutter
- Creating jigs and clamping parts for welding
- Metal shop tools refresher
- More safety
- Metalshop/MIG Welding badge is required to participate.
- Proper attire is mandatory: closed-toed leather boots, long cotton or natural fiber shirt, and pants (NO SYNTHETIC FIBERS ALLOWED). Long hair must be tied back.
- Safety equipment including protective glasses and hearing protection are provided by MAKE Santa Fe but bring yours if you have them.
- Students must be at least 16 years of age. Minors must have parental permission and signed waiver (ask us).
About the Instructor:
Christy Georg is an Artist / Adventurer. She has worked as a deckhand aboard sailing schooners, thru-hiked the 2,650-mile Pacific Crest Trail and 500-mile Colorado trail, and cruised the Arctic. Endurance and fortitude drive underlying themes in her work. She has her BFA and MFA in sculpture and brings a 25-year career with dozens of awards and rich fabrication experience to MAKE.