CNC Router Badge
October 5 email@example.com 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Think of the X-Carve as a robotic arm for your workshop. It uses a spinning bit to carve intricate designs and patterns into various materials, from wood and plastics to metals and composites. And the best part? You can control it all from your computer!
With the X-Carve, you can unleash your inner artist and create stunning pieces for your home, office, or business. Whether you’re a hobbyist, a maker, or a professional designer, this tool will take your creations to the next level.
So, are you ready to get started with the X-Carve? Let’s carve out some fun!
This class is designed to give students a comprehensive introduction to using a CNC router while creating a fun Marble Maze project. Students will learn how to create 2D designs in CAD software, prepare files for cutting, operate the CNC router, and troubleshoot common issues that arise during the cutting process. By the end of the class, students will have the skills necessary to create precision cuts in various materials, including wood & plastic, and will have completed their unique marble maze.
- Students must have experience with 2-dimensional drawing or drafting programs such as Adobe Illustrator, Fusion 360, Inkscape, AutoCAD, Vectorworks, Easel, Corel Draw, etc. This is not a drafting class, but we will use one of these software in the class!
- Students must have basic computer skills, including navigating file systems, exporting files, managing files, and using Mac and PC software programs.
- No prior experience with CNC routers is required.
*Please reach out if you have questions about these prerequisites or your eligibility.
All necessary materials and tools will be provided by Make Santa Fe, including the wood for the maze. However, students may wish to bring their laptops with CAD software installed.
- Understand the basics of CNC routing and its various applications
- Learn how to create 2D and 3D designs
- Develop skills in preparing files for cutting and operating the CNC router
- Gain an understanding of the materials that can be cut with a CNC router and their limitations
- Learn how to troubleshoot common issues that arise during the cutting process
- Gain hands-on experience with the CNC router, including creating precision cuts to make a marble maze.
Upon completing the class, students will receive a Badge of completion from Make Santa Fe and will have their own custom-made marble maze.
About the Instructor
James W. Johnson is the executive director of MAKE Santa Fe, CEO of Mindshare Labs, and sits on the board of Trustees at Santa Fe Playhouse. He’s also an avid maker. James studied Theater and Art at the University of Idaho, earning his B.F.A.
Upon graduation, he dove into a career as a scene designer. To date, James has designed or built over 150 different theatrical sets. His work has been on stage at Santa Fe Playhouse, Hedgerow Theater, Flat Rock Playhouse, NC Stage Company, and many others nationwide.
His career in the theater slowly evolved into becoming a non-profit administrator. Over the past decade, James has helped theaters, non-profits, and higher education institutes make their mark on the web by creating online systems that benefit the missions of those institutions. He’s led fundraising, marketing, and business development teams and is a self-taught web developer specializing in programming languages related to web design.
James maintains artistic inspiration through photography, metalwork, and as a scenic designer. He’s passionate about leading MAKE Santa Fe and loves sharing his knowledge.