- This event has passed.
Shaper Origin Badge
January 20 @ 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
This course will introduce you to the basic principles of Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Computer Aided Machining (CAM) while using the CNC Shaper tool. In this class we will explain the relationship between CAD & CAM and you will learn how to safely and efficiently use the CNC Shaper tool. Each student will be able to take home a project they cut with the Shaper!
What you’ll learn:
• File types used by the Shaper, creating shapes in Shaper Studio and on the tool itself.
• CAM tool pathing, specifically pocketing, engraving, inside profiling and outside profiling
• Setup and operation of the CNC Shaper tool
• Woodshop PPE best practices
• General digital fabrication vocabulary
No prior experience is necessary to use the Shaper.
About the Instructor:
James W. Johnson is the Executive Director of MAKE Santa Fe and has been a maker for most of his life. He is typically found in the Woodshop at MAKE but has dabbled in electronics since his father introduced him to H.O. scale trains as a kid. He owns a business, Mindshare Labs, which specializes in websites and mobile apps.