Wood- Mortise & Tenon joinery
March 27 @ 10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Discover the timeless art of mortise and tenon joinery in this woodworking class! This classic technique involves fitting a sturdy tenon into a precisely cut mortise, creating a strong and durable bond.
Craft strong and elegant joints with expert guidance, from selecting premium materials to refining finishing touches. We’ll learn to mark then create the mortise with the drill press and chisels, and use the tablesaw to cut then, chisels to dress, the tenon.
Unleash your creativity with this timeless technique, creating functional pieces that blend form and function seamlessly. Join our woodworking community and embark on a fulfilling journey into craftsmanship. Whether you’re a beginner or seasoned enthusiast, this class offers a gateway to woodworking excellence: Unlock the secrets of mortise and tenon joinery and elevate your woodworking skills to new heights!
What you’ll learn:
- Strength and Durability:
- Learn to create joints renowned for their strength, perfect for sturdy furniture and load-bearing structures.
- Versatility and Adaptability:
- Explore the versatility of mortise and tenon joints, adaptable to various applications like doors, windows, chairs, and more.
- Aesthetics and Time-Tested Appeal:
- Discover how this joint not only adds strength but also enhances the visual appeal of your woodworking projects, creating timeless and beautiful pieces.
- Wood Movement Tolerance:
- Understand how mortise and tenon joints gracefully accommodate wood movement, ensuring your creations stand the test of time.
- Fundamental Woodworking Skill:
- Master an essential skill that forms the foundation of woodworking, providing you with the expertise to craft intricate and enduring pieces.
Students 16 years of age and up can be unaccompanied; ages 12-15 must have a guardian also enrolled in the class. Minors must have parental permission and signed waiver (ask us).
*No experience necessary! All skill levels. We recommend taking Woodshop Badge as a sister class either before or after this class.
About the instructor:
Kurt Miller has been a professional wood worker for 35 years and has a high amount of experience in wood fabrication, carving, & turning. He also teaches our Lathe Badge, Bowl Turning, Advanced Turning plus csome of our Woodshop Badges. Kurt is highly capable of getting you to the point of turning out what you want.