- This event has passed.
Sculptural Welding With Rod
September 11 @ 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm$130.00
Sculptural Welding – Drawing in Space with Steel Rod
Already a welder? Learn to make large-scale, lightweight, steel sculpture in the round with 1/8″, 3/16″ & 1/4″ steel rod! Come with several ideas and drawings (ideally front, side, and top view) or photos or a maquette of what you might make for a life-size piece. Your sculpture may later be “skinned” with sheet metal, stretched fabric, other material or be complete as-is!
In the style of & inspired by parade float figures and artist Jaume Plensa
- Tool Safety and Shop Cleanliness
- Designing and Planning
- Cutting rod w bolt cutters
- Shaping rod w several bending jigs
- MIG or ARC welding
- Angle grinder
- Prerequisite: Metalshop/MIG Welding OR Gas/Arc Welding – ideally both
- Proper attire is mandatory: closed-toed leather boots, long cotton or natural fiber shirt, and pants (NO SYNTHETIC FIBERS ALLOWED). Long hair must be tied back.
- Safety equipment including protective glasses and hearing protection are provided by MAKE Santa Fe but bring yours if you have them.
- Students must be at least 16 years of age. Minors must have parental permission and signed waiver (ask us).
- Includes $50 material fee for steel (10 pieces). You have the option to buy more material during class if needed ($5 per rod)
- This class is recommended for MAKE members- so you can complete your sculpture on your own time.
About the Instructor:
Christy Georg is an Artist / Adventurer. She has worked as a deckhand aboard sailing schooners, thru-hiked the 2,650 mile Pacific Crest Trail and 500 mile Colorado trail, and cruised the Arctic. Endurance and achievement drive underlying themes in her work. She has her BFA and MFA in sculpture and brings a 20-year career with dozens of awards and rich fabrication experience to MAKE.