- This event has passed.
Monthly Maker Challenge Brainstorm – Power Tool Dragster
June 2 @ 4:00 pm – 5:30 pm
Every month we’ll announce a new maker challenge and then get together to brainstorm ideas for how it can be completed.
We designed each challenge so makers could take part and complete the challenge with Make Santa Fe tools and equipment. Our goal is to galvanize the maker community and have a whole lotta fun while doing it!
This month’s challenge: Power Tool Dragster
The Goal: Make a power tool dragster to compete in a drag racing tournament at the end of the month.
- Racers are based on handheld power tools that run on 120 volts electric supply.
- A handheld power tool is a machine for handheld operation by one individual (belt sanders, angle grinders, circular saws, drills, chainsaws, weed whackers, vibrators, etc.). Examples of things that are NOT hand tools are lawnmowers, floor sanders, generators, bench grinders, etc. No vehicles built from RC cars are allowed.
- AC electrical cords will be 100′ long per lane, originating at the starting line. They will have standard Edison 3-prong connectors. You will be responsible for “coiling” the cord on the ground or laying it alongside the track for your run.
- No spools or cord guides allowed.
- Eligible machines are single-engine power tools with no motor modifications or non-standard power sources (i.e., engine and power source need to be box stock). Propulsion can be direct drive to track via the original blades, belts, etc., or via custom gear/chain/tire configurations. Frames, wheels, guide rails, etc., can be added as desired. Any motor or power type is allowed. But all “motors” must have originated in a hand power tool and be in their original form, with the original power source driving it.
- Due to the nature of the event, these machines can be very fast and dangerous. ALL entries for any class MUST REGISTER their machine and be inspected before racing to ensure they stay on the race track and out of the audience.
- We reserve the right to say “no, unsafe” at any time for whatever reason(s) we find relevant.